Sunday, October 26, 2014

Lola and the Boy Next Door - Book Review

Author: Stephanie Perkins
Edition: Speak Paperback
Released: September 28 2011
Series: Anna and the French Kiss #2
Pages: 338 approx.


Lola Nolan is a budding costume designer, and for her, the more outrageous, sparkly, and fun the outfit, the better. And everything is pretty perfect in her life (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighbourhood. When Cricket, a gifted inventor, steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.


I recently just read Anna and the French Kiss and I LOVED it! Literally right after I finished Anna, I was racing over to my bookshelf to pick up Lola!

To be honest, I had quite a few problems with this book. These problems are really hard to explain and probably make no sense at all, but who cares! I'll just get onto the review :P

Here is a short list of the negatives I found while reading this book:

- I couldn't get hooked on this book, It took me a while to get into it.
- I did not feel the romance as much as I did with Anna, it didn't make me get that cute feeling inside when something adorable happened.
- I did not feel attached to some of the main characters.

That's enough of the negative things, Lets get onto the good stuff :P

One of the things I loved about this book is that everything is so real and honest! I feel as though I can relate to the story and I can feel a sense of similarity between Lola and I, even though we are nothing alike ( Does that make sense?) 

Another thing that I really LOVED about this book is that Lola's parents are gay. We don't see enough of gay couples in contemporary books and I think that there should be more! Lola wouldn't be the same amazing person if it weren't for her dads!

I love how the Stephanie Perkins intertwined characters from Anna and the French Kiss into this novel, I could not get enough of Anna and Etienne in the first book. It just brings the whole story together and its definitely a pure stroke of genius by Stephanie Perkins :P

I rated this book a 4/5 stars! 

If you have not yet read Anna and the French Kiss or Lola and the Boy Next Door, I definitely recommend it! These books are super adorable and are such a light fun read.
Thank you Stephanie Perkins for creating a master piece! :)

Happy Reading Everyone!
Chelsea :P

2 comments:

  1. I liked this one even less than Anna too because of the romance. I just can't stand characters that cheat and so didn't really enjoy being in Lola's head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm this book definitely frustrated me a little! Thanks for ya comment :P

      Delete